Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer2008 : Journey of Life...Season of Change...

Even though my dad looks like Anupam Kher, I am not so fortunate to have long 'hair' like Anupam's 'heir' Sikandar Kher....While his 2nd movie Summer 2007 tanked at Box-office, my Summer 2008 was also a big flop...
When I started preparing Summer Report for submitting it to my college, I was clueless about Key Learnings from my summer job...And when I thought about it...I wrote this blog!

These are few things I learned/realized from my summer job:
1) My job (in fact my destiny!) forced me to travel to the places where I had never dared to venture into....While I wandered the Continent sprawling from Andheri to Virar...I realised that how inconsiderate I was towards my friends who came from such far-flung places to our college...and I sweared not to ridicule them ever...Really..it was a journey of life...probably I would never get to travel so much in my life 'again'...But it was a-'Gain' for me...as I could learn the name of stations beyond Andheri...
2) Waiting for customers to interact with them...I used to stand there for 'long' hours...and being stranded at my workplace, I used to 'long' to return to home...At the end of the day...I felt my legs did not be'long' to my body..And I was happy to realize that I could stand on my own feet...It also answered a question which had remained a puzzle for me since my childhood..."How does a Horse sleep while standing?"...Now I have become perfect in applying this particular skill...
3) In my college days...I always wondered how to introduce myself to a pretty girl and start talking to her...Summer Job gave me an opportunity to learn this art...while conducting survey to collect the data...I liked this part (of my job!) too much...
4) True friends are those who will always be with you in the times of difficulty...I came to know who my true friend was during summers...And that was my Wrist-watch!!...I spent every hour there by looking at it...That was only ray of hope which brightened those gloomy days...(Even though my wrist-watch didn't have Radium in it!!)
5) I realized how difficult it is to talk to customers and convince them to opt for what they don't want...so I took an oath...that I would talk politely to all the surveyors/Salesmen (and saleswomen also!)/Tele-callers/Marketing people...Because I would never forget that...in the past...I was on the other side of the fence!!! (This time I am seriously thinking of taking up Marketing !!)

Anyways...I am not going to submit Hard-copy of my summer report to my college...I will give them just a link of my blog...Summer Blog...or Summer Slog? (Though it was part-time summers!)

3 comments:

Joanne D'Souza said...

Hilarious!!!!!

I am ever so grateful that i will not be ridiculed for coming "from such far-flung places to our college"... But i am terribly upset that you classified "Marketing people" alongwith "surveyors/Salesmen (and salewomen also!)/Tele-callers"...

And as always your sense of optimism is reflecting very clearly! it never ceases to amaze me how you can see humour in any situation!

Smita Bhandarkar said...

Yogesh thinking of takng up mktg means that he certainly learnt a lot in "being d othr side of d fence" haha...n ya aftr ths blog jo and gari will certainly be grateful to him.
The blog is a clear reflection of his optimism, his wacky sense of humor and seeing an "opportunity in evry adversity"

Anonymous said...

I wonder how can you say the wrist-watch is ur true-friend when it seems like it has stopped moving when you spend hours looking at it! ;)
Anywys, m glad u solved the puzzle "How does a horse sleep while standing." It has bugged me often too but I guess the answer comes along when u actually have to use the horse's technique to catch a few winks!