Friday, June 27, 2008

Pappu can't dance saala...



I still remember...I was in 3rd standard...When my teacher asked the class "Who wants to dance in annual function this year?"…I immediately raised my hand...I attended practice sessions with great enthusiasm...While everyone else could dance with an ease, I repeatedly forgot my dance steps...and kept looking what steps others were performing...only to disturb the flow of dance sequence..My teacher immediately spotted the immense talent I had in dancing...and gave me a key and strategic role/position/location in the dance...I was told to play the role of Tree...And around me, all other boys and girls danced..Such a critical responsibility I carried on my young shoulders...only to make it a successful performance...Well I was instructed to wave my hands (and stand still!) when others danced...In the actual performance...I forgot to do even these steps(?) !!...And My mother still regrets that - to make me appear like a Tree, she had hired a dress (of Green Tree) from Magan dresswala and wasted Rs.50 (when purchasing power of a rupee was so high!)…
When I was a teenager, I fulfilled my wish of dancing...by dancing on the streets during Ganpati festival...Initially I was so scared to dance in the front of public...I myself applied red-coloured 'Gulaal' on my face (later public became red-faced!) so that no one could recognise me...and I enjoyed a lot...I moved my legs, I waved my hands in whichever direction I could...I jumped in the air...My dance style was so unique and had such a startling effect...that there was a man who had drank alcohol heavily and was literally rolling himself on the road in the pretext of dance...He got up on his feet when I started dancing and ran away from me...
I also remember the chocolate day in my college...I was in FYJC and had 1st jam session of my college life on that day...There were some guys who could not dance at all and were looking around whether anyone is watching them while dancing...We immediately formed a group...And danced together for all the 5 years...For all these years, other groups preferred to stay away from us when we danced...To de-risk their bodies and lives from any injury...
After so many years of practice, I became confident about my dancing skills and thought I had a good chance in Bollywood as a dancer...And why not?? If Sunny Deol and Sunil Shetty can dance in movies...there was no reason to disbelieve my dancing skills...(Anything can happen in Bollywood…On 27th June 2008, 2 movies got released with the similar-sounding titles...Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic and Thodi Life Thoda Magic!!) I had set Bollywood movies as my career path; until that unfortunate incident happened in my eventful life...I had gone to a discotheque only because my friend insisted (who obviously had never seen me dance before)...As soon as I started dancing, there were high decibel noises and chaos as some girls started shouting...Initially I thought I was getting such a terrific response from the crowd...But I realized soon that I had broken a girl's nose and hurt 2 other girls’ delicate toes...Before I could know what was happening, security guard had thrown me out of the discotheque and I was lying unconscious on roads...I need to mention here, as a brave person, I did fight with him till the end...I had almost managed to hit him on his nose...but he escaped from my brutal and lethal assault as I was punching my fists in the air only...and my friend told me later...that 'despite' 'this'fight', I was constantly reminding them about my fundamental right to dance as per Indian Constitution...Incidentally when security guard had attacked me...this friend refused to identify me as his friend...But he only arranged for ambulance and hospital etc etc (only after seeing Security guard's back)...such a true friend he was...
When I regained my consciousness in hospital (and I didn’t forget to deliver a customary Bollywood dialogue "Main kaha hoon?"...such a Bollywood buff I am)...I had to quit dancing with great courage and tear-filled eyes...only because my doctor advised to keep myself away from dancing as it could prove fatal to my life and injurious to others' lives...Yes...I know Bollywood lost its ‘could-be’ all-time great dancer...But kya karein...Destiny had other thoughts in her mind...
To forget my unfulfilled dream, I started writing...as I knew that Bollywood doesn’t have any writer who can come up with original script without watching a DVD of foreign movie...My friends say that I write reasonably good...(because they compare my articles with my dancing skills)...still...they always say..."But pappu can't dance saala!!"...

2 comments:

Smita Bhandarkar said...

Well i dont knw whtr ths pappu(yogi) can dance or not cos i hv nt evn seen him attempt to do so!So no comments yet on his dancg skills, though going by d blog i bettr be at a safe distance whn i c him dance!!!
And as fr his writing skills, well thr is already a "no-bail" prize waitng fr him :D

Joanne D'Souza said...

This piece was everything ur dance is not.. flowing easily, it held my attention... but maybe it does share one thing in common with your antics on the dance floor - it was funny!

Well done.. stop dancing but continue writing pls...